Important Stuff

Nothing going on here... as you were...

In My Mailbox #2

 Sunday 31 January 2010

Ok I'm sorry I've not posted in a while, I had an exam on Friday so the days before I was trying to revise and yesterday I was too tired so today I'm going to have to have a multi-post day possibly. Anyways back to our scheduled programming.

In My Mailbox was inspired by a post by Alea @Pop Culture Junkie and is hosted by Kristi @The Story Siren

Right, so remember I said last week was busy because I'd lumped all the books I'd bought so far this month into one post and that this week would be pretty empty? Well I had a major week of FAIL and bought 17 (count 'em seventeen) books and probably spent nearly £50 which I really can't afford to being a student with no job.

Here we go:

And to your left is this week's *insane* YA spree that I went on. A thing to mention - I have already read all of these except Sabriel and Beautiful Creatures (which I may start tonight).

Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen
The Secret Circle vol.1 by L.J. Smith
The Secret Circle vol. 2 by L.J. Smith
Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
Sabriel by Garth Nix
Fallen by Lauren Kate
Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld.

What's crazy awesome is that Leviathan and Sabriel were bought from  my local Oxfam bookshop, though while it's no British Heart Foundation (whose shops I adore) it still is pretty good. Get this- Leviathan cost me a fantabulous £1.99!!! The slipcover had a 2" slice down the front which in no way bothered me so I was seriously chuffed with my find and I read it that evening. (I'll post a review at some point soonish, hopefully)

The second half of my spending spree is more classically orientated. I know I bought 4 Daphne du Maurier books last week and that people with sharp eyes and memory will see those books repeated in this set to the left. But before you cry "why buy two copies of four books?" I'll explain; this boxed set I found in the same shop I bought the du Mauriers from last week and for a set that is worth a mind-boggling £70 ! The Works was selling them for £9.99!!!
So even though I did already own five of those 9 titles I still bought it cos it was a real bargain that I knew I shouldn't pass up. The duplicate copies I took to my Oxfam shop and donated them to the nice folks in there who were very grateful for them.
So the books in this set which I didn't have before are: The Loving Spirit, The Scapegoat, The House on the Strand and The Glass-Blowers. I have My Cousin Rachel at home so when I go back for Easter I'll donate my other copy to the BHF (it was a second-hand copy in the first place).

What an eventful week it's been! I'm going to have to forbid myself from buying *any* books until March now or I'll be in serious trouble with my parents. They're going to flip out as it is when they see how many books I've got now at Uni, I'll have to try and convince them that the books were breeding and multiplying while I wasn't looking :P
Tomorrow I shall be doing a round-off post for January with a list of the books I've read this month and my top 3 from that list. I shall try and get a few of the reviews I need to do posted on here but it may take me a while and I won't do posts for all the books I've read this month or I'll never clear the backlog.
So Happy Sunday, hope folks are having a nice weekend and I'll see you next sunday with (hopefully) nothing to report if my book-buying hiatus goes to plan.
LadyV

8 comments:

Bookalicious Ramblings 31 January 2010 at 14:08  

Wow, what a great book week! :D I loved Along for the Ride and the UK cover is SO cute! And congrats on the box set bargain, you were really lucky with that one! Happy reading!

Stephanie 31 January 2010 at 18:12  

These look good! I bought Leviathan for my son and me, and I'm really looking forward to it. I've read terrific reviews of it. I've also read great reviews of Fallen, Beautiful Creatures, and Along for the Ride. Enjoy!

Corrine 31 January 2010 at 18:20  

Great books this week! I haven't read the Daphne Du Maurier books, but I've been told by family members that the geography for The House on the Strand is set around my grandparent's old family land. I always thought the title was The Pearl on the Strand? Anyway, lol. Good reads this week, and I hope you enjoy them all! :)

Maria (Serpentine Library) 31 January 2010 at 19:19  

Another great book week. I loved Leviathan, well I pretty much love everything Scott Westerfeld has read. The Daphne Du Maurier set looks good too, I haven't read any of her books. But, you've got me curious! Enjoy all your new books :)

RaĆ­la 31 January 2010 at 23:09  

Awesome, amazing books! I LOVED Hush, Hush and Fallen. You can read my reviews on them over my blog. Also, BC is one of the books I want to read yet this year. Sounds so great! Hope you like them all! :)

Anonymous,  1 February 2010 at 00:27  

I'm envious of your du Maurier collection. I've read Jamaica Inn, My Cousin Rachel, The House on the Strand, and of course, Rebecca. I liked them all but I think Rebecca will always be my favorite. The House on the Strand stands out from the rest. It's a much different read than her other books.

Brooke Reviews 1 February 2010 at 02:58  

Oh wow, great collection you have there. :) Happy Reading!

Rebecca 1 February 2010 at 06:43  

Great books you got this week. They all look soooo good. Hope you enjoy reading all your books.

Post a Comment

Any comments are greatly appreciated and will make this paltry blogger's day :)

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP