Important Stuff

Nothing going on here... as you were...

Book Review - A Great and Terrible Beauty

 Saturday 12 June 2010

Aft'noon folks I finally got a review done although I vlogified it because my brain is pretty fuzzed up right now so it's somewhat easier to ramble to the webcam than it is to write it out (I think anyway).

I'll put a better synopsis for the book just below because the one I try to give in the vlog is ruddy awful, do forgive me I'm kinda ill right now as will be evident shortly.

Title: A Great and Terrible Beauty
Author: Libba Bray
Date Read: 12/6/2010 AM
Genre: Historical/Supernatural Fiction
Source: Bought
Description: Gemma, 16, has had an unconventional upbringing in India, until the day she foresees her mother's death in a black, swirling vision that turns out to be true. Sent back to England, she is enrolled at Spence, a girls' academy with a mysterious burned-out East Wing. There Gemma is snubbed by powerful Felicity, beautiful Pippa, and even her own dumpy roommate Ann, until she blackmails herself and Ann into the treacherous clique. Gemma is distressed to find that she has been followed from India by Kartik, a beautiful young man who warns her to fight off the visions. Nevertheless, they continue, and one night she is led by a child-spirit to find a diary that reveals the secrets of a mystical Order. The clique soon finds a way to accompany Gemma to the other-world realms of her visions "for a bit of fun" and to taste the power they will never have as Victorian wives, but they discover that the delights of the realms are overwhelmed by a menace they cannot control. Gemma is left with the knowledge that her role as the link between worlds leaves her with a mission to seek out the "others" and rebuild the Order. (Description taken from Goodreads)


Review







My Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars


Apologies for general crappiness of review vlog, I should definitely work of doing more written reviews and actually put a fair bit of thought into them instead of rambling like I normally do *sigh*
But since tomorrow is normally IMM day and I've not actually got *any* books this week I'll do a nice and hopefully vaguely interesting post on some of my favourite series - which is gonna take some thought since I read a heck of a lot of series.
Anyways have a good Saturday Night!
*dematerialises*
LadyV

3 comments:

Mrs. DeRaps 12 June 2010 at 22:06  

Colds in June should be illegal! What a horrible time of year to feel sick. I loved this book but haven't rest the other two books yet. I actually have the third, but am missing Rebel Angels. Let us know how the second book is so I can decide to read it or not. Thanks for the vlog review!

-Ria xo 14 June 2010 at 18:16  

I've just recorded a vlog review too :)
Not up on the log yet though- just telling you this incase you feel copied :D Great review- I <3 watching your youtube videos :)
-Ria

Chelle 18 June 2010 at 19:28  

I've seen this book reviewed quite a bit around the bloggosphere but somehow I missed the whole India to England and Victorian/historical aspect. Now I want to read this right away!

Post a Comment

Any comments are greatly appreciated and will make this paltry blogger's day :)

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP