Important Stuff

Nothing going on here... as you were...

Book Review - Shiver

 Thursday 29 July 2010

Good evenin' folks although I do have like 7 other books that I should be reviewing *before* these two I thought I'd get my thoughts down while they're still relatively fresh in my mind. Last week I re-read Shiver so that when Linger arrived I would have all the details clear since it'd been a while since I read it for the first time. Both these reviews will be shortish but I can't guarantee that they'll be spoiler-free, I will try to flag up anything majorly spoilery but I'm a bit dippy sometimes and the odd thing may pass me by - apologies in advance if I do miss anything.

Title: Shiver
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Date: 26/7/2010 AM
Source: Bought
Description: For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human ... until the cold makes him shift back again. 

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever. (Taken from Goodreads)


Review: I think it's safe to say that no matter how many times I re-read this Maggie's writing will still be unbelievably beautiful and Sam Roth will *still* be the sweetest, most gentle-hearted guy in YA literature. Honestly he is one of my favourite male characters ever (Of course that list is also occupied by Valek, Alex Fuentes and most of Tamora Pierce's Tortall guys), he's kind, he's funny, he loves books and poetry for pete's sake! If there's one criteria that guys *need* to fulfill for me to like them then it's gotta be an interest and/or passion for books- which is why I love my bf to smithereens he's a nerd and doing a degree in English Literature ergo he is amazing. But I digress. 


What I really love about the paranormal side of Shiver (the other side being the love story between Sam and Grace) is how wonderfully unique Maggie's werewolf mythology is - most other books I've read with werewolves in have had the moon being a catalyst for shifting or some other supernatural creature *coughtwilightcough* etc. The idea of the werewolves being human when it's warm and there being no need for thick werewolf fur and shifting back when it gets really cold again is really cool and interesting and it actually makes sense, sort of.


Now the actual love story itself is *so* sweet, beginning from that fateful night when Grace was attacked by the wolves (first chapter so not really spoilerish) to when they actually meet for the first time as the same species. Ok so they've never really interacted over the intervening 6 years but they've both been thinking about each other which does count in my opinion. I absolutely adored the hot chocolate scene and I frankly awwed along with the shop girl at what Sam said (I'm deliberately being vague to get non-initiates curious) there seriously needs to be more guys like Sam in this world *ponders cloning machine*.


Overall I loved this book, it's romantic, lyrical and the ending actually brings a tear to my eye (no word of a lie), I was dying to read the second book after I finished it the first time so I was really glad that I actually could read Linger right away this time. The characters are fascinating although I would love to know where Grace's stoicism comes from cos heck knows her parents are pretty fluffy in the head so it's not from them. Isabel I really liked despite her frequent bitchiness and attitude problems. It is a shame that we don't get to meet more of the wolves in human form cos it'd be nice to see the pack interact in the present rather than through Sam's memories of summers gone by. But other than that one quibble I really couldn't find fault with this book and I frankly would recommend this series to everybody cos it's one of *those* books that you want to pass around like it's scripture (no blasphemy intended). 


My Rating: 5 Stars out 5!!


Ok since this post will already be really long I will do the review for Linger in a separate post tomorrow. Eep it's nearly Friday already and it's almost August as well! Heck where's my summer going? *befuddled*


LadyV

5 comments:

Savannah 30 July 2010 at 00:20  

I love this book as well. I even got my mom reading it.

Jan von Harz 30 July 2010 at 01:24  

Shiver is definitely a beautifully written book, and one I think could stay alone. The love story is gorgeous and heart wrenching and I think Grace's stoicism is the direct result of having parents who are absent and self absorbed. Terrific review

Ellie 30 July 2010 at 15:16  

OK, THAT'S IT! I'm ordering it! ;-)

Ray 30 July 2010 at 15:32  

Ellie - *mwa ha ha ha* I knew you'd crack eventually especially with both me and Jess bigging it up on our blogs :P

Anonymous,  31 July 2010 at 06:11  

I've picked your blog for an award! Please stop by my blog to pick up the Versatile Blogger Award I would like to pass on to you.

http://everylastpage.blogspot.com/2010/07/my-first-blogger-award.html

Post a Comment

Any comments are greatly appreciated and will make this paltry blogger's day :)

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP