Important Stuff

Nothing going on here... as you were...

Booking Through Thursday - Hot!

 Thursday 15 July 2010


Well, folks, I don’t know about where you are, but right here, it’s HOT.
So … when you think about “hot reading,” what does that make you think of? Beach reading? Steamy romances? Books that take place in hot climates? Or cold ones?


Well oops, I was not intending to sleep nearly 12 hours.. but I woke up at half 3 in the afternoon!! Crap now I have to hope that I can tire myself out at cricket practice enough to actually be able to go to sleep tonight. *sigh*

Anyway I'm getting sidetracked. This is an interesting question, first off it *was* really hot here for about a month with no rain until... this week when the rain came back in force and it's not really stopped since Monday which totally sucks. Second, to me "hot" reading brings connotations of steamier novels since if you feel the urge to fan yourself whilst reading it then I'd call that pretty darn hot. When I read Cross Stitch (Outlander) by Diana Gabaldon I found myself checking over my shoulder when I was reading to make sure that no one else could see how saucy some of the scenes were. It's not that I'm a prude about it but I don't want people who just glance at a page and see something like that to think I read soft-core erotica novels :P

Books that get labelled as "beach reads" or "summer reading" are usually lighter, fluffier women's novels like Sophie Kinsella, Louise Bagshawe etc. but I generally don't like those type of books because the stories are not really relatable for me and therefore not that interesting. My kind of beach reading is whatever book I have with me when I happen to be at a beach, which has only occurred once as far as I can remember since I live in a county that's hundreds of miles from anything that resembles a beach. While I was in Barbados I took full advantage of being right by the beach and spend several days on a lounger reading - but I wouldn't call Daphne du Maurier "light" reading and Jane Austen isn't wholly fluffy despite some people's opinions that her books are not entirely serious. 

I can't say I've ever really paid attention to what type of climate a book takes place in because it's not something that tends to be emphasised very much unless it's important to the plot i.e. a story of an expedition in the Antarctic  where the freezing climate is a constant threat to the team's survival. But it's an interesting point to consider, I wonder what the ratio of hot climates to cold there is in the books I've read this year? I'd expect it'd be pretty small though since so many books take place in the US or UK where it's a temperate climate without massive extremes of temperature (for the most part anyway).

Right I've gotta get myself moving now since I've been asleep for most of the day and I need to get dressed and eat before cricket training in 2 hours *eep*. 

Have a good Thursday folks!
LadyV

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments are greatly appreciated and will make this paltry blogger's day :)

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP