Important Stuff

Nothing going on here... as you were...

So Yeah, NanoFail

 Sunday 28 November 2010

As you will have probably noticed for the second half of this month the blog has been rather devoid of Nanowrimo updates. This is because I failed. Just after the half-way point I was hit with the realisation that I was neglecting my university work somewhat and deadlines were starting to creep up on me so I was forced to shelve my novel until I could continue.

I will finish this month with less than 30K but on the whole I am still pretty happy with my effort. Before Nano I had never written anything on a story longer than 5K so to have the first third of a novel written (albeit a very shitty first third) is still quite an achievement for me. Maybe next year I will plan far enough ahead to make sure I don't run out of chapter outlines halfway through the month.

I did find it pretty exhilarating having to just write without going back and self-editing after every paragraph and I really liked my story although I'm sure that as I start to read back through the Nano work I will wince at how awful my writing truly is. Most likely I'll have rewrite the whole damn thing (something feels off about the POV) so maybe next summer once I've outlined and characterised properly I can rewrite what I already have and finish the whole novel.

What was also kind of daft was that almost a week after I'd halted writing on my Nano story a completely new story idea leapt into my head which I'm also quite enamored with so I may work on that for bit before I go back to the NanoFail at some point.

So as there's only 2 days of Nano left how is everyone doing? Have you finished? Nearly there? or like me has real life gotten in the way and your word count is *waaay* behind? Whatever your word count WELL DONE! Y'all are awesome for even signing up! There's always next year to try again!

LadyV

6 comments:

Golden Eagle 28 November 2010 at 18:23  

Congrats on writing that much! It's still substantial--and you got the chance to experience writing without editing.

And yes, there's always next year!

iffath 28 November 2010 at 21:31  

Congrats on your word count so far! You did better than my..1-2-3..100 words LOL :D

~M.A.CHASE 28 November 2010 at 21:40  

I've failed as well with the same amount of words, but I'm still writing. My real life things got in the way (acting and all). Maybe next year I will do better. Maybe.

Chrystal 28 November 2010 at 23:42  

Congrats on making it that far. I only made it a few days and maybe 2,ooo wordsish?!? Then life got in the way. *sigh* Well there is always next year. Maybe next year I will have an outline etc to follow unlike this year. LOL

Good luck with your school work!

Lauren K 29 November 2010 at 04:06  

Hi there. I found this blog by searching for Nanofail. There's no way I'm finishing my novel either and I was looking for someone to commiserate with. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you as far as word count and real life intruding. This is the longest thing I've ever written as well so I'm tring to be positive. Good luck with you school work and you novel.

Magnus 29 November 2010 at 23:47  

Absolutely the same thing happened to me. I got to about 15000 words and real life kicked me in the balls. I don't think Nano is really achievable whilst at Uni, not without it really suffering anyway.
There's always next year!

Post a Comment

Any comments are greatly appreciated and will make this paltry blogger's day :)

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP