Important Stuff

Nothing going on here... as you were...

Top Ten Books Read in 2010

 Sunday 2 January 2011

Hurrah! I finally got round to looking through my stats for 2010 and deciding on my Top Ten favourite reads for the year. It turned out to be easier than I expected since out of the 36 books I rated 5 Stars half of them were re-reads :P

I'm now going to list my Top Ten (plus Notable Mention) in the order in which I read them in 2010 because then I don't have to pick an outright favourite- although I still might :P

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
I read this back in January and was blown away by it, one of the classics that really ought to be read. It was also the first book I actually reviewed on this blog. You can find the review Here
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
Don't be fooled by the intimidating size of this tome, it may be chunky but the pages fly by in a whirlwind of plots, schemes and revenge! I was really glad to have read this although I think if I'm going to re-read it at any time I'll try and find an e-book to save my wrists!
Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
This debut novel was raved about by so many people although for some it was a bit of a Marmite book (Either Love it or Hate it). I adored it and Lauren's second book Delirium is also fabulous.
Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman
While this isn't a terribly recent book, this Dystopia novel should be a staple read for every person who loves the genre. Hard-hitting and heart-breaking it really gives you food for thought. 
The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
If anyone saw my tweets after I read this you might remember how totally blown-away I was by this novel. A big book with quite a bite, and a fabulously creative style of writing. The review I did for this is Here and I can tell you that the two sequels are going to be high priority this year.
If I Stay by Gayle Forman
 A beautifully written book which really  makes you think about the tough choices.  Can't wait to read Where She Went.
World War Z by Max Brooks
Extremely unsettling (in the best way) zombie apocalypse novel. Although it's fiction you can be very easily fooled into thinking it's fact. My Review is Here.
 Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly
Fascinating and wonderfully written novel. A blend of contemporary and historical and two heroines whom you are rooting for the whole time despite their flaws.
Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead
The book we had all been waiting for. The book I read in record time. The book that revealed the fate of some of the best characters in YA vampire fiction :P My review of this amazing book is Here.
Entangled by Cat Clarke
Although this book isn't technically released until 6/1/2011 I read it just after Christmas and holy cow! Stunning debut novel that I will be reviewing shortly.

So that is my Top Ten favourite Reads for 2010! Honourable mention goes to the Lord of the Rings which I finished back in February although since my edition was in 3 volumes it was only The Return of the King which I rated 5 Stars but the trilogy as a whole was epic (although I do also love the films :P).

I'm very much looking forward to seeing what awesome books 2011 throws my way.
Ciao
LadyV


5 comments:

Annette Mills 2 January 2011 at 15:24  

I remember reading Noughts & Crosses and I think your "hard-hitting, heart-breaking is a great description. I googled this book and didn't realize that it's part of a series of books.

Revolution was one of my top books this year too.

Happy New Year!

Nina 2 January 2011 at 15:32  

I loved If I Stay, a very good book indeed. Great list. :)

CarlyB 2 January 2011 at 16:08  

Yay I'm so glad you loved Rebecca - it's one of my favourites of all time!x

StephTheBookworm 2 January 2011 at 16:58  

Amazing list! I love the diversity of the books you've read.

Marg 16 January 2011 at 21:03  

Loved Rebecca when I read it a few years ago, and loved Revolution. It made my top reads list for 2010 as well.

Post a Comment

Any comments are greatly appreciated and will make this paltry blogger's day :)

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP