Important Stuff

Nothing going on here... as you were...

Book Review - Lament

 Saturday 16 April 2011

Evenin' all, this is gonna be rather an interesting review since most folk should know that when it comes to my YA Paranormal preferences, Faery books are pretty low on my list of favs. However this one was different...

Title: Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Date: 22/3/2011 PM
Source: Gifted by Jess
Description: Sixteen-year-old Deirdre Monaghan is a painfully shy but prodigiously gifted musician. She's about to find out she's also a cloverhand—one who can see faeries. Deirdre finds herself infatuated with a mysterious boy who enters her ordinary suburban life, seemingly out of thin air. Trouble is, the enigmatic and gorgeous Luke turns out to be a gallowglass—a soulless faerie assassin. An equally hunky—and equally dangerous—dark faerie soldier named Aodhan is also stalking Deirdre. Sworn enemies, Luke and Aodhan each have a deadly assignment from the Faerie Queen. Namely, kill Deirdre before her music captures the attention of the Fae and threatens the Queen's sovereignty. Caught in the crossfire with Deirdre is James, her wisecracking but loyal best friend. Deirdre had been wishing her life weren't so dull, but getting trapped in the middle of a centuries-old  faerie war isn't exactly what she had in mind . . .(Description taken from Amazon)


My Review
It has taken me quite a while to get round this book since I acquired it from the lovely Jess back in August and I actually tried to read Ballad last April cos I got confused about which book was first so that I managed to figure out which way up to hold the book is a miracle in itself :P


I'll own up to feeling slightly confused again when I started reading this because after the very cryptic prologue and how we were launched straight into Deirdre's meeting with Luke I had a hard time grasping when Dee was supposed to have dreamt about Luke (unless the prologue *was* her dream in which case it could have been a tad clearer). I also usually have slight quibbles with how quickly the girl seems to fall for the faery/half faery boy but this time it didn't bother me as much since Dee has enough sense to admit that it's kinda odd how much she's drawn to Luke when she barely knows him.


A big factor of what made me really like this book was Maggie's writing and the work she put into all the Faerie lore and Celtic influences. As with Shiver & Linger, Lament has such beautiful descriptions and it makes it a real pleasure to read. Add all the gorgeous Celtic songs and it creates a haunting atmosphere which is so perfect for the disturbingly ambiguous nature of faeries.


The other thing which also made me laugh and endeared the book to me was James. He's cute, funny and really cares about Dee like the poor best-friend-in-love that he is. He has some of the best lines in the book which really cracked me up. My fav moment with James is this -
 "I can show you some things he can't, as well." James let the shop door close behind him. "Lovely." James' attire was a bit strange- he had accessorised a t-shirt that read You: Off My Planet with an iron fireplace ash scoop, which he held over his shoulder like a rifle. The combination was oddly appropriate. (Pg 171)
 Seriously isn't that the *best* bit of description ever? I can literally see James strolling in looking all bad-ass with the ash scoop and it really tickles me. Kudos to Maggie for being so awesome with her character creation.


The story moved along rather nicely and the tension definitely racked up a bit leading up to the climax. I did really like the ending as everything was wrapped up neatly enough that it could stay as a stand-alone book although I'm still looking forward to picking up Ballad again. I know it features James more and since I love that boy it'll be sooner rather than later :P


For the normally anti-faerie person like me reading Lament was a refreshing experience with its fab combination of scrumptious writing, detailed lore and complex characters. I thoroughly enjoyed this book although I don't think I could ever dislike anything Maggie Stiefvater writes cos that woman is just pure awesomeness.


My Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars


I technically started this review back on Thursday but it's taken me a pathetically long time to finish so apologies. Enjoy your Saturday night my lovelies!


LadyV

3 comments:

Jess 16 April 2011 at 19:02  

That James moment made me smile, me thinks me may likes him too :) I'm still a bit wary with it being a faerie book, but as you said Maggie is awesome so if anyone can make me love faeries its her!

Effie 16 April 2011 at 19:52  

I love Maggie Stiefvater! I also loved both Lament and Ballad. Great review!

Happy Reading :-)
Blakeley

Dazzling Mage 17 April 2011 at 18:31  

Ooh, this sounds good! It's on my TBR list. =D

Post a Comment

Any comments are greatly appreciated and will make this paltry blogger's day :)

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP