Important Stuff

Nothing going on here... as you were...

Book Review - Tortall and Other Lands

 Sunday 3 April 2011

Evening Folks! Another review for y'all today since I'm on a bit of a roll with posting right now.

Title: Tortall and Other Lands
Author: Tamora Pierce
Date: 9/3/2011 AM
Source: Bought
Description: This collection of fantasy stories contains all the tales from Tamora Pierce's land of Tortall. In addition to pieces previously published in anthologies, Tortall & Other Land contains two new stories. The collection encompasses stories about characters both old and new. (Description taken from Goodreads)


My Review
Now normally I don't tend to read short story collections since they're often a bit hit & miss with me but obviously if Tamora Pierce has a collection of short stories then I am guaranteed to pick it up because I fangirl over Tammy's books. So in the interest of expediency I shall review each story in the collection in one sentence.


The Dragon's Tale - Loved this story! Kitten is the cutest baby dragon ever and being able to see through her eyes is so fab.


Elder Brother - An interesting look at what happened after Numair turned a mage into a tree and somewhere else a tree turned into a man. 


The Hidden Girl - A good moral but not my favourite story


Huntress - a genuinely creepy contemporary story with a fantastical element. 


Lost - Another fab story with an appearance from my favourite Tammy creatures - darkings! Gotta love those cute little buggers


Mimic - Interesting story about a peculiar lizard.


Nawat - I personally love the Trickster books and Nawat is one of my fav characters, in this story you get to see a very different and almost worryingly crow-like side of him as he struggles to cope with his new role as a father. 


Plain Magic - Amusing story about a girl whose village try to sacrifice her to a disgruntled dragon


Student of Ostriches - Story about the life of a character mentioned in an Alanna book. Liked it.


Testing - This was more autobiographical than fiction. But interesting nevertheless


Time of Proving - Very short and generally forgettable story. 


Overall I liked the collection although there were a couple of stories I didn't care for much. The stories I liked the most were the ones that featured characters or creatures I already knew and loved.


My Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars


Ok so this review took me longer than expected since it is apparently impossible for me to concentrate on my computer while I'm watching TV (I know it would be sensible to not have the tv on while writing reviews but I'm not a sensible person am I? :P)


LadyV



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments are greatly appreciated and will make this paltry blogger's day :)

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP