Important Stuff

Nothing going on here... as you were...

It's Monday What are you Reading (39)

 Monday 6 June 2011

Howdy all, another week ahead and I have something pretty awesome to look forward to - next Saturday I'm gonna be heading off on a train to see my bestie Jess (of Jess Hearts Books fame) for the day. We were gonna be heading off the Northern Blogger Meet-up in Manchester but due to unexpected occurrences our plans are now scaled-down to just us, drinks of varying levels of caffeination and Nandos so I am *vair* excited!

It's Monday What are you Reading? Is a weekly bookish meme where we get together to share what books we've read in the past week, what books we're currently reading and what new books we're planning on reading in the coming week along with any reviews or interesting posts. It's hosted by Sheila @Book Journey

Books Read this past week
Ultraviolet by R.J. Anderson - my 75th book of the year and wow what a corker! A fantastic blend of several genres with a very surprising turn of events at the end. I had very little idea of what the book was going to be about before I started reading and it became quickly apparent that it is nearly impossible to describe what it's about without resorting to adjectives and metaphors that don't even come close to doing it justice. 
Simply put, this book is a multisensory phenomenon that very nearly blew my mind and I seriously suggest that y'all read it ASAP cos I'm damn sure that you'll be savouring every beautifully crafted sentence for days after you're finished. Dang I wish I could hear colours.

Books I'm Currently Reading
I'm still chugging through Jane Austen's Minor Works and The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell although progress has definitely been slow this past week (*coughnoprogressatallcough*). What I have been reading a fair bit of over the weekend is an Early Review book I won from LibraryThing a few months back.

Words by Ginny L. Yttrup - Technically this is a Christian fiction book which is not my usual fare but as I requested it understanding the fact that if I won it I would be obliged to review it I thought that I ought to start reading it before the Almighty Algorithm which decides who wins which books each month punishes me for my tardiness in reading my LTER books. 
Oddly enough I'm actually rather enjoying it (no offence to any people who do read Christian fiction on a regular basis) as it feels more spiritually Christian than out-and-out evangelically so. I was a little wary at first as I've heard a few stories from friends about their iffy experiences reading overly intense Christian fiction but so far my experience is quite pleasant and mild. Here's hoping it remains that way.

Books I Plan to read this week
Darn it I just don't know, I read one book in the whole of last week which is truly terrible by my standards. I really need to stop eating my lunch at my desk and actually take a break or I will get barely anything read for the rest of the year. I want to finish The Vespertine at least as I've promised I'd lend it to Jess once I'm finished and since I'm going to see her this Saturday it would be rather sensible to have read it by then n'est-ce pas? God I hope I can get some reviews done but the mojo has gone fishing again it seems, the brief monologue above may be as close to a review of Ultraviolet as I'll get for a while so enjoy it folks! (ack sorry late-night posting means I write crankily)

Anyways let me know What You're reading this Week!
LadyV

4 comments:

Jess 6 June 2011 at 10:59  

Yeah girl we gonna have good times! Yes get cracking on The Vespertine! I hope you get into a new reading routine soon hun coz not having time to read sucks. Oh and I also just purchased the first season of Gilmore Girls on yours and Ellie's recommendation ;)

Sheila (Bookjourney) 6 June 2011 at 21:27  

WORDS is one I would like to read. I like Christina Fiction books but like you I prefer the more real to the overly preachy - there are actually quite a few great ones out there now.

Have an awesoem week- hope to see you Thursday for the Blogiversary party!

Jennifer 6 June 2011 at 21:41  

Your mojo will come back, it sounds like it just needed a wee vacation of sorts. I do hope you have a lovely week. My Monday: http://www.rundpinne.com/2011/06/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-42.html

Alaiel Kreuz 18 July 2011 at 16:18  

Ohhhh, Ultraviolet, I have this book too but I need longer day to be able to read them all! Sigh...
Anyway, I'm a new follower :D

This is My Monday.

BTW, I'm hosting two giveaways in my blog and they are international, just click HERE and feel free to enter, both of them are international :D

Hugs,

Alaiel

Post a Comment

Any comments are greatly appreciated and will make this paltry blogger's day :)

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP